I get this question a lot, so here is the basic answer I gave to someone else. (emails has been edited)
From: Ottawa Windows Server User Group
Sent: June-05-08 10:11 AM
Subject: RE: 70-299, 640, 642, and 643 self-study group Information and Schedules
There is no right answer to this. However I will say, this is what I use to for determining which exam to do next:
- Pick the exam that you are interested, if you are not interested in the exam then why do it?
- Pick the exam that will help you with your job, if it will help you with your job then you can get support from your boss to work towards that exam
- Pick the exam that you think that you can pass, this is more for your first exam than anything else after you get your first one then you will know what to expect.
- Pick the exam with a study group that you are interested in, Having a group of people will help you with any areas that you don’t understand and to motivate you.
- Pick the exam that will give you a higher certification, ie don’t do 70-622 before 70-620. However once you have passed 70-620, why not pass 70-622? That will give you both an MCTS and MCITP
Sent: June-02-08 12:37 PM
To: Ottawa Windows Server User Group
Subject: Re: 70-299, 640, 642, and 643 self-study group Information and Schedules
I initially want to join the groups, but I do not know what exams we should prepare for for .net 3.5 and visual studio 2008 and SQL server 2008 or 2005?