Take the following query, if you only used v_R_System.Operating_System_Name_and0 then you would have no idea as to which PCs are installed with “Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate" or “Microsoft Windows 7 Professional”.
left outer join dbo.v_GS_OPERATING_SYSTEM OS on R.ResourceID = OS.ResourceId
R.Active0 = 1
and client0 = 1
and R.Operating_System_Name_and0 = 'Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 6.1'
Ultimately the biggest issue with reporting is understanding a few items about ConfigMgr:
1. Where is the data coming from, (hardware inventory vs. discovery data)
2. How often is the data updated (How often is hardware and discovery data run?)
3. What do I want the data for and who is it for? (How many manager know what Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 6.1 is?)
4. What does it mean when there is no data (Can I trust the data I’m seeing?)
5. Are my queries consistent? (Is the differences in data due to inconsistency in my queries? Or by chance have PCs update their data in-between running each report?)
6. Are the inconsistent material to my reporting? (Assume that I have 1000 PCs and I’m seeing 500 PC with different results (50%), do I care, YES. Now assume that I have 100 000 PCs and I’m seeing 500 PC with different results (0.5%), do I care, NO.)
There are no right or wrong answer here but as an ConfigMgr / SMS admin who should prepare yourself to answer these questions when they come up.